Campaign GW pauses operations amid pandemic

File Photo by Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
Campaign GW, originally launched in 2005 to involve students in mapping out GW’s campus plan, will suspend operations in light of the pandemic.

Campaign GW, one of the University’s sustainability-focused organizations, will pause its operations amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In an email sent to the University community Monday, Campaign GW wrote that it will pause its operations as campus shifts most of its efforts to responding to the ongoing health crisis. The email states that the organization is “confident” it will be able to operate or a new and similar student group will form moving forward.

“We are confident that Campaign GW or new form of student engagement will come back,” the email states. “The Eco Rep activities from Campaign GW will find a new home in the nearer future (we’ll keep you posted on that) so students can continue to make sustainable changes at GW and in the world.”

The email cites Campaign GW’s founding in 2005, which at the time was used as a way to involve students in upcoming campus construction.

“Over the years, CGW has assisted GW by rounding up nearly 1,000 (!!!!) letters of support for Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campus plans,” the email states.

Natalie Wright, a former Campaign GW intern, said she has “greatly enjoyed” the work that Campaign GW has been able to do over the years.

She said members of Campaign GW will continue its weekly composting program in Kogan Plaza despite suspending other operations, and the Office of Sustainability will pick up the organization’s other sustainability initiatives.

“We appreciate everyone who was involved in this organization and look forward to seeing the amazing things they will all do in the future!” she said in an email.