Top two GW teams selected in Atlantic 10 Rocket League tournament

File Photo by Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
In lieu of sports, GW is competing in a video game tournament alongside seven Atlantic 10 schools.

In the six-team GW bracket of the Atlantic 10’s Rocket League Tournament, GWU A ran away with the victory, blanking both of its opponents.

While fall sports are postponed until the spring, eight of the A-10’s 14 member schools are participating in a Rocket League tournament with cash prizes courtesy of the consulting firm Capgemini. GWU A and runner-up GWU B are set to represent the University in the A-10’s Rocket League Tournament Friday for the chance to win additional cash prizes.

GWU A, the No. 1 seed in the GW bracket, earned a bye in the quarterfinals and immediately advanced to the semifinals. It faced off with No. 5-seeded JHZ, which upset the No. 4-seeded Chris Gang with three straight match wins. In a best of five match, GWU A blanked JHZ 3–0 and charged ahead to the finals.

In the final matchup for a $600 prize to be split evenly between the team’s three members, GWU A kept its hot hand, smashing GWU B in a 4–0 finish. GWU B did not leave the school-wide tournament empty handed. The squad will receive a $300 prize.

The finals were streamed on Twitch on the ClickStartU channel.

GWU B entered the final by the way of two upset victories. In the quarterfinal round, No. 6-seeded GWU B topped No. 3-seeded Barry’z Boyz 3–0. The squad carried its momentum into the semifinals, rolling over No. 2-seeded NeoLiberalUnited 3–0.

Six of the eight schools – GW, George Mason, Fordham, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and VCU – held qualifying tournaments. Due to registration numbers, Saint Louis and Davidson were not expected to be represented in the conference-wide tournament, according to an announcement in the tournament’s Discord server.

The A-10 Championship bracket featuring the top-two GW teams will begin Friday and end Saturday. Both squads will compete in a 16-team field for a $1,200 grand prize.