Fall-inspired dishes and drinks to celebrate the spooky season

Sabrina Godin | Assistant Photo Editor
Try your hand at a glow-in-the-dark cocktail from “The Spruce Eats” to give your Halloween celebration some extra flair.

Whether you’re whipping up apple pies or savoring pumpkin-flavored lattes, the best way to celebrate the fall is through foods and drinks.

Try out some of these autumn-inspired treats, savory dishes, coffee drinks and Halloween cocktails.

Fall sweet treats

Pumpkin bread with salted maple butter
Nothing screams fall more than pumpkin flavors. Try out this delicious pumpkin bread with salted maple butter recipe from Bon Appetit. You can follow along to a YouTube video featuring one of the Bon Appetit chefs as you bake the bread. The dish is relatively easy to make, you just need to stock up on some staple fall ingredients, like pumpkin puree, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Once you bake the pumpkin bread, you can prepare a maple butter infused with salt to spread over the warm bread.

Baked apple cider donuts
Another classic fall dessert is apple cider donuts. This version of apple cider donuts from the “Pretty. Simple. Sweet.” cooking blog is relatively easy to make and doesn’t require frying them or using a donut pan. The cake donut batter is flavored with apple cider, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Instead of heading to the deep fryer, the batter is poured into a muffin pan and baked in the oven. After they cool, roll them in a delicious cinnamon sugar mixture.

Halloween cocktails

Spooky jello shots
Choose your preferred liquor and check out this recipe for the basics on how to make jello shots. Pick orange or green jello for a spooky look. You can also add some candy corn, eyeballs or spiders to top the jello shots so they scream Halloween.

The Halloween hypnotist
This colorful cocktail comes from “The Spruce Eats” cooking blog. The special ingredient is a liquor called Hpnotiq that has a distinct blue color and fruity flavor. The recipe also calls for vodka, lemon juice and an optional – but very fun – garnish of a green glow stick.

Pumpkin spiced coffee drinks

Pumpkin cream cold brew
Follow this recipe to make the pumpkin cream cold brew with just a few ingredients from home. All you need is some cold brewed coffee, sugar, pumpkin spice and puree. The recipe recommends frothing your cream to have it taste most authentically like Starbucks’ infamous drink.

Pumpkin spiced latte
Check out Starbucks’ in-house recipe to make its coveted pumpkin spice latte. You just need a cinnamon stick, cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin puree and whipped cream plus your favorite espresso.

Savory fall dishes

One-pot pumpkin curry
Follow this recipe to make a delicious pumpkin and vegetable curry. This curry can be made and served in one pot. You need some ingredients, like pumpkin, turmeric, coconut milk and vegetables of your choice. You can add protein like chicken or tofu to its already bold flavor. The dish makes four servings – just enough to share with your friends this holiday season.

Duchess baked potatoes
The fall is one excuse to indulge in rich, delicious foods. Try out Bon Appetit’s “Duchess Baked Potatoes” recipe to satisfy those cravings. The dish is easy to make, only requiring potatoes, eggs, garlic, sour cream, heavy cream and butter. Bake the dish and enjoy its delicious, creamy carb-rich flavor.