Weekend Outlook – Check out a new farmers market in Alexandria

Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Venture down to Alexandria, Virginia, to grab some groceries at a new free farmers market at John Carlyle Square Park.

Between midterms and the upcoming election, there’s no shortage of stress. Take time for yourself this weekend by visiting a farmers market, participating in some online yoga and attending a virtual art lecture.

Friday

Carlyle Vitality Initiative’s Farmers Market

Spice up your weekly grocery trip with some fresh produce at the new farmers market, located at John Carlyle Square Park. Accessible by metro, the farmers market is free and offers everything from produce to meats to beverages. Strict COVID-19 guidelines will be followed, with all customers required to wear a face mask or covering.

300 John Carlyle St., Alexandria, Virginia. 3 to 7 p.m. EDT. Any senior citizens, pregnant parents, immunocompromised shoppers and anyone at elevated risk for COVID-19 can visit the market from 2 to 3 p.m. EDT.

Saturday

Gentle Yoga for Terrible Times

If you’re looking for a break from the stress of midterms, you can find some solace in evening online yoga. Taught through Zoom from Los Angeles, this free yoga class has a mission to be “accessible and inclusive for everyone” and merely help people unwind from the chaos of the year. Classes consistently sell out, according to its website, so be sure to register sooner rather than later. No experience is necessary to attend.

9 to 10 p.m. EDT. Register on Eventbrite to receive a Zoom invitation link via email 30 minutes before the class begins.

Sunday

Rembrandt in the Mirror

Learn more about art while you’re stuck at home with an online class. This online lecture, led by John Walsh, the former director of the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles, will examine the works and career of esteemed Dutch artist Rembrandt van Rijn. The lecture will center around the several self portraits Rembrandt created, as well as his motives for their creation.

Rembrandt in the Mirror will run from 5 to 6:30 p.m. EDT. Register on Eventbrite to receive an invite to this virtual lecture.