Student Court to hold public hearing on first-year SA seats and their voting rights

Updated: Nov. 3, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.

The Student Court announced Sunday that it will hold a public hearing later this month on a complaint on the validity of first-year Student Association senators and their voting rights.

The court will hear from a complaint filed Aug. 27 challenging the appointment of first-year SA Senate seats. The general order schedules a public hearing for Oct. 29 at 8 p.m. via Zoom to hear from representatives in Witte v. Student Association.

“Parties are free to advance jurisdictional arguments in their allocated time for presenting oral arguments but are advised that their time may be better focused on advancing their respective arguments on the merits,” the order states.

The order comes two years after SA leaders filed a complaint questioning the legality of first-year senator voting rights in their second semester in the senate. The court dismissed the complaint in fall 2018, but judges met in late August to revisit the case.

The order states each party will have 20 minutes to present an oral argument in front of the Court. Witte will represent himself during the hearing, and SA Vice President for Judicial and Legislative Affairs Jean Hyun will represent the SA.

Witte and Hyun declined to comment.

This post was updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that the court will hold a hearing on a complaint to split the SA into two bodies. The court will hear a case on the status of first-year senators and their voting rights. We regret this error.