Whipped coffee, ghost photoshoots: Get up to speed with viral TikTok trends

If+you+find+yourself+with+time+on+your+hands+during+the+pandemic%2C+try+hollowing+out+a+jalape%C3%B1o+or+soaking+your+fruit+in+salt+water+to+emulate+some+popular+TikTok+trends.+
Photo Illustration by Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
If you find yourself with time on your hands during the pandemic, try hollowing out a jalapeño or soaking your fruit in salt water to emulate some popular TikTok trends.

From peppers with cream cheese to back-cracking pranks, TikTok is your go-to for do-it-yourself tips and tricks.

With more than 800 million active users, it’s no surprise some of those ideas have become viral trends. You can find a gamut of ideas, like new snacks, pranks and photoshoots, on TikTok to try out with your friends and family. 

Here’s a rundown of some of the most popular TikTok trends that you can try out yourself:

Food trends

Reconsider not cleaning your fruit

A TikTok trend encouraging users to soak their fruit in salt water before eating is reminding us that when it comes to produce, ignorance is bliss. While it may seem like common sense to at least rinse the fruit you purchase before eating it, this trend has revealed you’re basically eating bugs if you don’t wash your fruit. The TikTok videos encourage users to buy cleaning products, like this one from Trader Joe’s or the substitution of vinegar for salt. 

Whip your coffee

Whipped coffee was one of the first DIY food trends to go viral on TikTok. Some whipped coffee TikToks have gained millions of views, and 2.2 billion people have viewed #whippedcoffee on the app. This whimsical coffee drink uses instant coffee, sugar, water and lots of wicking to achieve a cloud-like foam consistency. Some people plop the whipped coffee creation on top of milk or coffee creamer, while others eat it plain. 

Jalapeño. Cream cheese. Takis. 

TikTok’s latest spicy food challenge, which has been praised by Lizzo, involves just three ingredients: jalapeños, cream cheese and Takis. Hollow out the jalapeño and stuff it with the other two ingredients, and you’ve made a delicious snack with a balance of flavors and textures.

The Charli D’Amelio drink

Charli D’Amelio has become one of the most popular users on TikTok since her debut on the app last summer. Nearly 94 million people follow her, and about 7 billion people have liked her content. That said, it’s no surprise that her love for Dunkin’s cold brew with whole milk and three pumps of caramel swirl is now named after her. If you want to try the drink, just ask for “The Charli” at Dunkin.

Elevate your charcuterie board

Maybe pronouncing the word “charcuterie” is a little complicated, but making your very own charcuterie board doesn’t have to be. Most of the TikTok famous charcuterie boards are made by professionals who perfectly balance a blend of salty meats, fresh and dried fruits, nuts, spreads and cheese. But plenty of TikTok accounts explain how to make an easy, picnic-perfect charcuterie board without any professional experience. One particular theme is gathering high-quality ingredients for low prices at grocery stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods and then amping up the cheese board through garnishes and stylized cutting techniques. You can follow accounts like @loverboards, @magsmeals and @kayeatsscharcuterie for inspiration.  

Photoshoot trends

Grab Party City wigs

TikTok’s newest hair trend calls for a brightly colored wig that you can find at stores, like Party City and Walmart. This trend was popularized by ordinary teenagers on the app, but influencers quickly picked it up all over the app. Instead of reserving the wig for a costume party, most viral TikTok creators wear it just about everywhere as they go about their otherwise normal day. Just don’t forget to stop and take pictures along the way.

Ghost photoshoot

The easiest TikTok photoshoot trend is also one of the most eccentric. You need four items: a white sheet, sunglasses, a camera and a friend. A dog would also work. Then, dress yourself up as a ghost and take a mix of goofy and spooky photos. The results are impressive regardless of where and how you take the pictures, but some of the most viral ghost photo TikToks took place in New York City, Santa Monica, California and a random empty parking lot.   

Outdoor mirror selfies

This photoshoot trend gained popularity during quarantine. Users posted the stunning results of dragging their stand-up mirrors into their backyards during golden hour and snapping some selfies. Some people got creative with the trend by decorating their mirror and having friends take the pics for more varied camera angles.

Self-care trends

Follow professionals for mental health advice

Tiktok has given professionals like psychologists and yoga instructors a space to connect with more people and share tips. Users like licensed psychologist @drjuliesmith, licensed therapist for teens and kids @lindsay.fleminglpc and licensed professional clinical counselor @theshaniproject make advice videos on a variety of topics relating to mental health, like anxiety management and dealing with confrontations. If you want to learn more about ways to manage your mental health, follow these users.

Revamp your skincare routine with CeraVe products

Gone are the days of using colorful sheet masks for your skin on the questionable recommendations of beauty YouTubers. TikTok has allowed many skincare enthusiasts to share their knowledge about what works and what doesn’t. TikToker @skincarebyhyram, for example, encourages people to stop using exfoliators like St. Ives products and instead opt for CeraVe, claiming the products are more affordable and gentle on skin. Other accounts like @skincareryan, run by a dermatology nurse practitioner, also swear by the CeraVe line.

Prank trends

Back-cracking gone wrong

Grab a piece of dry pasta and ask your friend to crack your back for this prank. TikTokers place a piece of dry pasta in their mouth and call someone over to crack their back. When they are getting their back cracked, they quickly crunch on the piece of dry pasta, making a loud crunching noise to make it seem like their back broke. 

Zoom shenanigans 

It can be difficult to socialize during a Zoom class, but many students have found ways to have fun during the virtual semester. One TikToker, @samuelgrubbs, has perfected the craft of Zoom pranks. One TikTok shows an entire class surprising their teacher or professor with a random coordinated dance or action. Others show the entire class changing their names to “reconnecting” and turning their cameras off to confuse the teacher.