Weekend Outlook – Join in on nationwide women’s marches

The Women’s March is holding a second rally this year ahead of the upcoming presidential election.

After a long stretch of staring at a computer screen, get outside this weekend. Explore the history of foods from around the world, join in on a Women’s March rally and stroll around NoMa while you check out murals from various artists.

Friday

Smithsonian Food History Weekend

The Smithsonian Museum of American History is hosting its annual event focused around the cultural history of food in America. Unlike previous years, the event will be held online in light of COVID-19 concerns. Discussions will be held on topics ranging from culinary traditions in the Cherokee Nation to the future of beer. The event will also feature speakers from fields like the restaurant industry and agriculture.

Online. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Free. Register here.

Saturday

Women’s March

In anticipation of the presidential election, Women’s March is holding another demonstration in D.C. Saturday. If you can’t make it to the District, satellite groups across the country are also holding women’s marches that you can find here. The march in D.C. will begin with a rally from noon to 1 p.m. at Freedom Plaza, then participants will loop around the Capitol Building and end up on the National Mall around 3 p.m.

Meet at Freedom Plaza, 1455 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Free. RSVP here.

Sunday

POW!WOW! DC Mural Festival

Every year, for 10 days in October, artists from around the world are invited to D.C. to paint murals around NoMa for a festival hosted by NoMa Business Improvement District, Metro and local businesses like District Derp. On the festival’s fifth anniversary, you can check out artwork from muralists representing places like the District, Baltimore, Virginia and Japan. A complete list of the artists and more information about the festival can be found on the POW!WOW! website.

Midpoint at NoMa-Gallaudet Metro station. Visit here for a map. Festival ends this Sunday 10/18. Free.