Student arrested for allegedly attempting to rape two women

A student was arrested last Thursday after he allegedly attempted to rape two women in a pair of incidents last week.

Kendrie Roberts-Monticue, a senior from Reston, Virginia, is accused of attempting to rape a mother in front of her child aboard a Metro train last Monday and another woman in a Reston apartment building a day later. Roberts-Monticue was arrested by Metro Transit Police Department officers at a family member’s home in Virginia Thursday, according to a Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority press release.

“We are pleased to see a quick arrest in this case, thanks to tips from the public,” WMATA spokesperson Sherri Ly said in an email.

A Fairfax County Police Department release states Roberts-Monticue is charged with attempted rape and abduction with an intent to defile in connection to the incident in Reston. He’s expected to be charged with both attempted rape by force, threat or intimidation and attempted sodomy by force, threat or intimidation in connection to the event on the Metro, WMATA’s release states.

“The University is aware that a student who is currently enrolled was recently arrested for multiple offenses,” University spokesperson Crystal Nosal said in an email. “The Title IX Office will continue to closely review the available information and take action in support of the safety and wellbeing of the GW community.”

Roberts-Monticue did not return a request for comment.

Roberts-Monticue boarded a Silver Line Metro train last Monday at the Wiehle-Reston East station, attempting to take off a woman’s clothes and exposing himself to the woman and her young child, according to a WMATA release after the incident. The release states the felony occurred at about 11:35 a.m. between McLean and East Falls Church, where the woman escaped the train and MTPD officers responded.

No witnesses were in the Metro car besides the victim’s child, and Roberts-Monticue exited the train at the Foggy Bottom station, according to the release.

The following morning, Roberts-Monticue “grabbed and attempted to sexually assault” a woman working inside an apartment building on the 11000 block of Reston Station Boulevard, according to the FCPD release. Roberts-Monticue ran away from the scene after the woman was able to “fight him off,” the release states.

The release states officers arrived at the building before 8:00 a.m. in response to a report of an abduction, and detectives “worked through the night” to identify and locate Roberts-Monticue.

FCPD sergeant Hudson Bull said joint efforts between MTPD and FCPD helped police arrest Roberts-Monticue to ensure the public felt safe within “a pretty quick manner of time.”

“This case demonstrates the teamwork and the cooperation of the law enforcement agencies in this area, particularly the Fairfax County Police Department and the Metro Transit Police Department, whose detectives worked through the night nonstop once they got the information on the suspect to locate him and justify charges and arrest him,” he said in an interview.

Roberts-Monticue is being held without bond at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center and is in contact with the department’s Major Crimes Bureau’s Victim Services Division, which provides inmates “appropriate resources and assistance,” FCPD’s release states.