Athletic department reaches fundraising goal in weeklong campaign

The athletic department exceeded its $100,000 fundraising goal in a campaign to mitigate the financial toll of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The campaign, which ends Monday, raised more than $101,000 at the time of publication for student-athlete support, like daily customized nutrition plans and recovery equipment. In a tweet, Athletic Director Tanya Vogel thanked donors and congratulated the athletic department’s development office for running the campaign.

“What a week!” she wrote. “Thank you to each and every one of our donors who made this possible.”

Kathleen Burger’s donation to gymnastics pushed the fundraising initiative over the finish line a day before the weeklong campaign ended, according to a tweet.

At the time of publication, men’s water polo, baseball, men’s basketball, women’s swimming and diving, women’s cross country and track, women’s soccer and volleyball surpassed their fundraising goals.

Men’s water polo led the charge, surpassing its goal by more than $4,000. The team’s more than $24,000 in donations was the most of any program.

Women’s soccer and women’s rowing also had pledges to match donations up to $10,000 and $5,000, respectively.

Men’s water polo and gymnastics attracted the most donors, receiving funds from 37 participants. Women’s soccer rounded out the top-three with 32 donors.

Of the 271 donors as of Sunday, 60 percent were alumni, 26 percent were parents, 11 percent were faculty or staff, 6 percent were friends and 1 percent were students. Donors from 30 different states participated in the campaign.