SBA Senate calls on law school officials to oppose Supreme Court nomination

Grace Hromin | Assistant Photo Editor
SBA Sen. Rurik Baumrin said the resolution expresses the body’s opposition to the Supreme Court nomination because this act comes during “unprecedented times.”

The Student Bar Association Senate passed a resolution opposing the “rushed” appointment process of Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court at a meeting Tuesday.

Senators said the hastened process of President Donald Trump’s nomination – appointing a judge 38 days before the election – will politicize the court and harm the legal profession. The body also passed seven pieces of legislation, confirming students into senate seats, passing legislation to demand “corrections of injustices” at the Title IX Office and remembering a law school student who passed away last month.

SBA Sen. Rurik Baumrin said the resolution expresses the body’s opposition to the Supreme Court nomination because this act comes during “unprecedented times.” He said “only” two other justices have ever been appointed to the court within 38 days throughout U.S. history – whereas the typical process takes 68 days – and neither of those confirmations took place during an election year.

“It really is on us to stand up and fight back against a confirmation process that is going to undermine public confidence in not only the Supreme Court but the legal profession as a whole,” Baumrin said.

SBA senators also passed a resolution in support of a law student who reported cases of sexual harassment on campus. SBA Sen. Sydney Blithman said Dorea Batté, a law school alumna, experienced an “unfortunate” event of being harassed by another student, and the Title IX Office concluded the best course of action was a mutual no-contact order between the parties.

But Blithman said the school disclosed a “disciplinary action” on Batté’s record as a result of her seeking help from the Title IX Office when she attempted to apply for the bar exam.

“It is extremely unfortunate as she was seeking help and guidance and was then ‘disciplined’ for it,” Blithman said.

She added that the resolution also calls on law school officials to create a plan to address cases similar to Batté’s for the future because they’re “unfortunately inevitable.”

The body also unanimously passed a resolution acknowledging the passing of Noah Reisman, a former student at GW Law. The senate also passed legislation thanking the body’s COVID-19 commission for working with administrators during the spring and fall semesters.

Senators also approved SBA Sen. Nicole Karem as the body’s vice chair of wellness and SBA Sen. Breyana Hammond as the vice chair of diversity and inclusion.

Sarah Crowley contributed reporting.