Pregnant woman arrested at GW Hospital following knife chase

File Photo by Eric Lee
The GW Hospital’s approach to patient treatment has shifted to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

A pregnant woman was arrested at the GW Hospital Tuesday after chasing another woman with a knife, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

The report states Tawanda Archie chased Kejuana Harling from the Metro station to GW Hospital with a knife drawn after the two briefly interacted near the station’s entrance. Archie tried speaking to Harling outside the station a few moments earlier but failed to notice Harling’s hearing impairment that prevented her from communicating, prompting Archie to take “an aggressive stance” and rush at Harling, the report states.

During the chase, Archie brandished a 3- to 4-inch brown knife and threw a plastic water bottle at Harling, which missed and struck a nearby pedestrian, according to the report.

The report states Metro Transit Police Department Officer Logan Kent responded to the scene at 4:04 p.m. and found Archie yelling in front of the ascending escalators outside the station. MTPD Officer “L Jensen” couldn’t find the brown knife when he searched her for weapons, and he transported her to the GW Hospital “for a complaint of high blood pressure and being six months pregnant,” the report states.

The report states MTPD officers arrested Archie at the hospital after she was medically cleared and found a small glass pipe in her jacket pocket, which Archie said she used to smoke crack cocaine. MPD officers transported Archie to the Second District Police Station for processing at 7:49 p.m., the report states.

MPD officers charged Archie with assault with a dangerous weapon, simple assault and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to the report.

MPD spokesperson Sean Hickman declined to comment.