Hundreds congregate outside Supreme Court to mourn death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Media Credit: Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor

A person lights a candle in honor of late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Hundreds gathered around the Supreme Court this weekend to pay respects to former Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who passed away Friday after a yearslong battle with pancreatic cancer.

Crowds began to flood the streets around the court Friday evening, singing songs like “Amazing Grace” and breaking into applause at times. People continued to congregate into Saturday morning, leaving candles, notes and flowers in her honor.

Here are some photos from the weekend:

Gabrielle Rhoads | Staff Photographer

Mourners sit in front of the U.S. Capitol Building looking toward the Supreme Court.

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor

A woman sits on the steps of the Supreme Court Friday evening, hours after the announcement that Ginsburg had passed.

Sarah Urtz | Senior Staff Photographer

Dozens of flowers lay on the ground at the bronze doors of the Supreme Court.

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor

A young girl prepares to leave a flower at a memorial for Ginsburg.

Sarah Urtz | Senior Staff Photographer

A hand made ‘Thank you RBG’ sign sits on the steps of the Supreme Court, surrounded by candles and flowers, in honor of the departed justice.

Kate Carpenter | Photographer

A woman writes a note in honor of Ginsburg on the steps of the Supreme Court Friday.

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor

At the Friday night vigil, a group of girls led the mourners in song. They sang “This Land is your Land” and “Amazing Grace.”

Gabrielle Rhoads | Staff Photographer

Candles, a “thank-you” card and a mini figure of Ginsburg are placed at the memorial for Ginsburg Saturday morning.

Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor

A person lights a candle in honor of Ginsburg.

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor

A flag of the United States is seen at half-staff in honor of Ginsburg outside of the Supreme Court, where she served since 1993.