Tennis coach, officials to represent GW on A-10 commission for equity, inclusion

Three GW coaches and officials will represent GW in a newly created organization pushing for racial diversity, equity and inclusion in the Atlantic 10, according to a release Wednesday.

The Commission on Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion will implement racial equity programming that focuses on education, activism and accountability, according to the release. Head women’s tennis coach Torrie Browning, Associate Director of Development Chris Monroe and Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement Caroline Laguerre-Brown will represent the University in the commission.

The organization aims to increase accountability in normalizing anti-racist behavior, improving hiring practices and supporting social justice efforts.

“We have strong programming and initiatives within each of our 14 universities and colleges, thus the opportunity to collaborate will enable all to be stronger together,” A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said in the release.

The commission will collaborate with existing on-campus racial justice organizations, like Athletes Driving Change, organized by women’s basketball, and Connecting for Change, put together by men’s basketball assistant coaches.

Duquesne University President Kenneth Gormley and La Salle Athletic Director Brian Baptiste will co-chair the organization, and three representatives from each member school will round out the group.

“This new initiative marks a crucial step forward in ensuring that our sports teams and staff, our campuses and society as a whole foster respect for diversity and work to combat racism at its very root,” Gormley said in the release.

In its first event, the commission will co-sponsor a symposium with Duquesne Oct. 15 to discuss the NFL’s Rooney Rule, a policy that aims to increase the hiring of people of color in the NFL, the release stated.

Several athletic conferences formed similar committees, like the Pac-12 Conference’s Social Justice & Anti-Racism Advisory Group and the Big Ten’s Anti-Hate and Anti-Racism Coalition.