Students hold Q&A with ‘Saturday Night Live’ cast members for Fall Comedy Show

“Saturday Night Live” cast members Bowen Yang and Chloe Fineman joined the GW community for an online Fall Comedy Show Saturday evening. 

Senior Kendall Bean and junior Scott Rosenberg moderated the four-way call on Vimeo as a question & answer session with the comedians. The duo asked Yang and Fineman about how they got their start on SNL, their favorite celebrities to host on the show and rapid fire questions testing how well the members know each other.

Students who registered for the event also entered into a raffle to talk with the cast members over the phone.

Here are some of the highlights from the show:

Q: What was it like coming into SNL together?

Yang: We both auditioned in the same group two summers ago and shared an Uber on our way back from our meeting with Lorne. I remember that we each really hoped that the other had been casted. I ended up working as a writer during my first year and when I heard rumblings that Chloe was a shoe-in for the next season, I reached out to her to get coffee. SNL is a lonely place despite being so collaborative because it’s so easy to be in your own head, so I was happy to come into the experience of being a cast member with someone I admired so much.

Fineman: It feels very full circle. Bowen and I definitely share the same humor, and I think we definitely both brought it during our first show.

Q: Who were your favorite celebrity hosts?

Yang: Harry Styles was a magical week for everyone. Even the heterosexual men were like, “What’s his deal?”

Fineman: I really enjoyed Eddie Murphy. Most of the time hosts just laugh during pitch meetings, but Eddie shared a lot of insight and facts during the discussion. He seems very analytical-minded. Also, he started out his table read warning everyone that he wasn’t very good, but of course he was.

Q: What was filming SNL at home like?

Fineman: Chaotic – I still had my pre-show nervous diarrhea, so there were definitely still triggers of doing SNL in person.

Yang: I liked it as a fun new iteration of the show, although it was technically interesting. We were sent a ring light and a collapsible green screen and taught how it set it up ourselves. I also found that talking into the camera became harder than usual. It took me nine takes to film a 15-second intro.

Q: What are some of your craziest college memories?

Yang: We called it the Red Wine of ‘09. In my sophomore year, [SNL writer] Anna Drezen and I were invited to a party in Bushwick and our entire group vowed to get as plastered as possible. It was a disaster, and everyone went home crying.

Fineman: James Franco was getting one of his many degrees at [New York University] and ended up sleeping with several women in my acting studio and putting on this crazy play. He was like the Shia LaBeouf of my generation. Courtney Love also ended up stopping by my acting studio and ended up flashing us.

Q: Who is most likely to:

…Break character? Yang.

…Get lost in New York City? Fineman. She got lost in both the Met and Central Park earlier today.

…Become a celebrity chef? Yang, but only with stew.

…Be starstruck by another celebrity? Fineman.

…Move to D.C.? Yang. He wants to live next to one of the Potomac Housewives.