SBA calls on officials, SA senators to reconsider body’s budget allocation

Grace Hromin | Assistant Photo Editor
SBA Sen. Joshua Gilmer said the allocation “clearly” violates the body’s rules and policies and said the SBA has received “virtually” no information regarding how their allocations came to fruition.

The Student Bar Association unanimously passed a resolution calling on officials and the Student Association to increase its budget after senators received notice of a 30 percent budget decrease Tuesday.

The SBA originally had been allocated more than $149,000 for the fiscal year, but SBA leaders received word from officials in the Division for Student Affairs Tuesday that their budget was cut to roughly $104,000 for the year. Jackie Fisher, the president of the SBA, said she and Executive Vice President of Finance Alice Danelia contacted officials “immediately,” calling for a reconsidering of the allocation and a “detailed” explanation about the budget decrease.

“This is simply unacceptable that our SBA and student organizations have such an egregious budget cut,” Fisher said. “Our enrollment at the law school has not decreased nor have our student activity fees.”

Senators approved a resolution late last month outlining more than $70,000 to student organizations and a fiscal budget of more than $165,000, but SA senators needed to approve the confirmed amounts.

SBA Sen. Joshua Gilmer, the chair of the finance committee, said the allocation “clearly” violates the body’s rules and policies and said the SBA has received “virtually” no information regarding how their allocations came to fruition.

“I won’t belabor the point beyond to say that I think that the allocation that the SA gave to the SBA is inadequate and their explanation was non-existent,” Gilmer said.

Senators also unanimously approved six pieces of legislation appointing members into vacant positions in the SBA, including a director of the academic affairs and policy committee and a director of the faculty appointments student representatives committee.