Women’s basketball adds walk-on to 2020-21 roster

Piper Macke, a 5-foot 7-inch guard from Fort Thomas, Kentucky, will walk on to the women’s basketball program, head coach Jennifer Rizzotti announced Thursday.

In her three years as a starter for Highlands High School, Macke averaged 12.2 points, 4.5 assists and three steals per game. She will be the fourth freshman addition to the squad after center Ali Brigham, guard Aurea Gringas and forward Caranda Perea signed onto the team last November.

“I’m extremely grateful to have the opportunity to play at GW and be welcomed so wholeheartedly by the coaches and such an amazing group of women,” Macke said in the release. “Making the decision to take a chance and come to campus has already ended up being one of the best choices I’ve made in my life. I can’t wait to see what this season will bring.”

Macke started her high school career at Holy Cross District High School before transferring to Highlands High School. She helped her teams to four consecutive district championships. In her senior season with the Bluebirds, Macke was named the district tournament MVP, and she nabbed All-District and All-Region honors for two straight consecutive years.

Rizzotti called Macke a “talented, scrappy and hardworking player,” adding that she is “grateful” Macke took a chance on joining the Colonials.

“We are very excited to welcome Piper to GW,” Rizzotti said in a release. “We are always looking for players that are eager to be part of our women’s basketball family. In a time when things have been so far from normal, Piper took a chance on us and has brought the kind of investment and energy we want from all of our incoming student-athletes.”

Macke will join a 12-member team full of new faces. Half the team will take the court for the first time as a Colonial this season, including a pair of transfers in graduate student guard Jasmine Whitney and redshirt junior guard Gabby Nikitinaite.