History department working to replace White professor who lied about Black identity

File Photo by Arielle Bader
Daniel Schwartz added in the email that he will provide students with an update “later this weekend.”

The history department is looking to remove a professor who admitted to lying about her racial identity from two classes she began teaching this week, according to an email sent to students in her classes Friday.

Daniel Schwartz, the chair of the history department, wrote in an email that the department is aware of history professor Jessica Krug’s blog post Thursday stating she falsified a Black identity for years and is working to continue her courses without her instruction. Krug began teaching Latin American and African history this semester, according to the schedule of classes.

“I want to assure you that we are aware of yesterday’s shocking news concerning your teacher this semester, Prof. Jessica Krug,” Schwartz wrote in the email. “I know that many of you are deeply shaken and angered by Prof. Krug’s confession and questioning whether you can remain in her class. While I am unable to offer you any specifics at this time, we are working to see if the classes can continue this semester without Prof. Krug as the instructor.”

He added in the email that he will provide students with an update “later this weekend.”

Administrators are currently investigating Krug’s post, which includes that she falsely claimed Black North African descent, Black American descent and Black Caribbean descent. Officials declined to say how they’ll respond to the post.