Weekend Outlook – Stroll through Hirschorn’s reopened sculpture garden

Take a gander at some 3D art at the Hirshhorn Museum’s Sculpture Garden this weekend.

Take the long weekend to celebrate your first week of online classes. If you’re in the District for the semester, take a walk through the reopened Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden and pig out at a Labor Day barbecue. For those continuing classes from outside D.C., spend the weekend attending a virtual yoga class or tuning in to an orchestra concert.

Friday

Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden

You may have missed out on its infamous “Jazz in the Garden” this summer, but you can make up for the lost time this fall. The Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden reopened in mid-August with some safety precautions, like social distancing and required face coverings. Walk through the garden and explore 3D masterpieces like Yayoi Kusama’s “Pumpkin” and Jimmie Durham’s “Still Life with Spirit and Xitle.”

Open daily from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EDT. National Mall, at the corner of 7th Street SW and Independence Avenue SW.

Saturday

Yoga from the garden

De-stress before you return to online classes while soaking up the last rays of summer sunshine. The U.S. Botanical Gardens transitioned its Saturday yoga sessions to Zoom so you can stream the class from anywhere in the world. Registration for the virtual event, led by WithLoveDC, is mandatory and is open to the first 100 participants who sign up.

Online. 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. EDT. Register here. Only open to the first 100 participants.

Sunday

Virtual National Symphony Orchestra Labor Day Concert

D.C. is an iconic city to spend Labor Day weekend, but events that usually celebrate the holiday are having to cancel or adapt virtually. The National Symphony’s annual concert on Capitol Hill is a long-standing tradition for the holiday weekend, but this year it’ll be performed in the Kennedy Center and live-streamed at Park Up D.C. drive-in theater. You can enjoy the concert from the comfort of your own car or listen to the concert on the radio.

Park Up D.C., 2400 East Capitol St. NE, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tickets are free but required for entry.

Monday

Tour of The Mansion on O Street with local BBQ 

Explore the O Street Mansion, an eccentrically decorated hotel built in 1892 by the architect who designed the U.S. Capitol building. This Labor Day, the museum is partnering with District Pit BBQ to offer guests a satisfying meal of barbecue pork, beef, chicken and homestyle sides. Guests can purchase tickets for the tour and meal combo for $50 for time slots every half hour between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.

The Mansion on O & O Street Museum, 2020 O St. NW, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets and more info can be found here.