Virginia shooting suspect arrested at the GW Hospital

File Photo by Eric Lee
The GW Hospital’s approach to patient treatment has shifted to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

A person who shot at a crowd of people in Columbia Pike, Virginia, was arrested at the GW Hospital Sunday, according to Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson Alaina Gertz.

Gertz said an MPD officer arrested Yaren Denbu in the GW Hospital emergency room with an Arlington County Police Department “fugitive from justice” warrant. A press release issued by ACPD states Denbu is charged with three crimes he committed in a shooting in Virginia earlier that morning, which include “attempted malicious wounding, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and reckless handling of a firearm.”

The release states Denbu began firing a gun at a crowd of people where police officers were clearing a business parking lot at the 3100 block of Columbia Pike at 5:04 a.m. Two security guards shot back at Denbu before he “fired additional rounds” and fled the scene in a vehicle, the release states.

The release states officers stopped Denbu, a 33-year-old from Dundalk, Maryland, at the corner of 9th Street S. and Walter Reed Drive and transported him “to an area hospital for treatment of a superficial wound.” Gertz confirmed Denbu was treated at GW Hospital.

An MPD report states MPD officer Michael Carruth arrested Denbu and transported him to the Second District police station for processing.

The incident occurred at the Purple Ethiopian Restaurant and Lounge and is the second shooting at the lounge in the last year, according to ARLnow.com. The website reported Wednesday that the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority has suspended the lounge’s liquor license after the Arlington County Board withdrew its live entertainment permit last year.