SMPA Terker Distinguished Fellow selected as presidential debate moderator

File Photo by Grace Hromin | Assistant Photo Editor
Steve Scully said a ticket with Biden and Michelle Obama would be “unbeatable” because of Obama’s name recognition and popularity, even though the former first lady has publicly rejected the possibility.

Steve Scully, a School of Media and Public Affairs Terker Distinguished Fellow, has been selected as the moderator of the second presidential debate, according to a release.

Scully, the political editor and senior executive producer at C-SPAN, will moderate the town-hall style debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Thursday, Oct. 15 in Miami, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced Wednesday. Chris Wallace, an anchor at Fox News, and Kristin Welker, a White House correspondent at NBC News, will moderate the first and third presidential debates, respectively.

“We are grateful to these experienced journalists, who will help ensure that the general election presidential debates continue to serve their unique educational purpose of helping the public learn about the candidates,” the three co-chairs of the commission said in the announcement. “Each individual brings great professionalism to moderating and understands that the purpose of the 2020 debate formats is to facilitate in-depth discussion of major topics.”

Frank Fahrenkopf, one of the commission’s co-chairs, serves on SMPA’s National Council.

During the debate moderated by Scully, uncommitted voters from the south Florida area will pose questions to the candidates, who will have two minutes to answer, the announcement states. Scully will have an additional minute to “facilitate further discussion.”