August Outlook – In-person, virtual events happening through the month

Learn+something+new+this+month+with+free+online+courses+offered+by+the+Smithsonian+Institution.+
Lillian Bautista | Senior Photo Editor
Learn something new this month with free online courses offered by the Smithsonian Institution.

This past week’s disappointing news that we will not return to campus this fall may have got you down, but you have another month of summer to celebrate before virtual learning kicks in.

Whether you are looking for some entertainment or seeking to learn something new, we’ve created a list of virtual and in-person events and activities to take part in this month. Mark your calendars with events like the Black Lives Matter March on Washington, virtual meditation with GW instructors and drive-in theaters.

Virtual events:

Gear up for the Emmy’s

Binge all of the Emmy nominations, which were unveiled Tuesday, before the award ceremony takes place Sept. 20. Netflix’s and HBO’s series broke the record of most shows nominated this year – tallying more than 200 – meaning you can watch award-worthy shows from the comfort of your home. Spend August streaming all the nominated shows – you might find a new favorite along the way.

19th Amendment Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon

Mark the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment’s passage with the Smithsonian American Women’s Initiative, a project aimed at documenting, researching and sharing information about U.S. women’s history. The initiative is enlisting people to make 19 edits to Wikipedia articles related to the amendment throughout August. You can tune into editing training sessions and office hours to learn more about the project on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT.

Nike Run Club August challenges

Up your running mileage this month on the Nike Run Club app. Each month, the Nike Run Club hosts challenges that allow you to share your mileage with others using the app. Join a virtual club, like GW Recreation’s Run/Walk Community, or participate in a virtual race for a cause of your choice. In addition to tracking your miles, the app offers guided runs narrated by celebrities like Kevin Hart or running coaches like Chris Bennett and Kirsty Godso.

Take a class with SmithsonianX

Being outside of D.C. won’t keep you from your next Smithsonian educational experience. Learn something new this August and enroll in a free course through SmithsonianX. The Smithsonian Institute is offering free courses on everything from courses titled #EarthOptimism and The Rise on Superheroes and Their Impact on Pop Culture. You can find a full rundown of courses here.

Meditation and Mindfulness

Take a meditation break every Thursday afternoon from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. this month with a guided session organized by the Smithsonian Asian Art Museum. Follow along with a 30-minute guided meditation led by D.C.-based meditation instructors. Meditation and the practice of mindfulness can help you become more present and relaxed by calming your nervous system, which is especially important during the pandemic. You don’t need prior experience to take part in the sessions.

In-person events:

Black Lives March on Washington

On the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s original March on Washington in 1963, protesters from and supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement will march alongside the Lincoln Memorial. Organizers say they will march peacefully for “justice, equality, anti-racism, justice for George Floyd and so America and the entire world knows Black Lives Matter.”

2 Lincoln Memorial Circle NW, Aug. 28, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Women’s Suffrage Tea & Tour

Commemorate suffragettes’ advocacy that led to the passage of the 19th Amendment by attending Tudor Palace’s Tea & Tour. Sip on tea and refreshments and hear the stories of the women of Tudor Palace with a 30-minute house tour and learn about what it took to achieve three-fourths of the states approval and invoke Congress to ratify the amendment in 1920.

1644 31st St. NW. Tickets $40-45. More information can be found here.

Mamma Mia!, Dreamgirls, Dirty Dancing | Wolf Trap Drive In

With movie theaters closed, Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts transformed its parking lot into a drive-in movie theater. For those returning to D.C. and those who live in the surrounding DMV areas, practice social distancing from the comfort of your own car. Wolf Trap will play Mamma Mia on Thursday, Aug. 6, Dreamgirls on Saturday, Aug. 8, and Dirty Dancing on Sunday, Aug. 9. Bring the popcorn or buy a $20 movie snack pack for two, and watch some classics, in a classic drive-in theater style.

1551 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182. Aug. 6, 8 and 9. 8:30 pm. Tickets $40. Movie information for Mamma Mia, Dreamgirls and Dirty Dancing. The National Park’s website can be found here.