Men’s basketball nabs second Class of 2025 recruit

Brayon Freeman, a 6-foot-1-inch guard from D.C., announced in a video his commitment to the men’s basketball program Tuesday.

Freeman is the second addition to the Class of 2025 after forward Tafara Garape committed in May. He played his junior season for Huntington Prep and became a three-star recruit by Rivals and 247Sports.

“There’s no other city like D.C. in the world,” Freeman said in the tweet. “Throughout my journey of different schools and coaches, I’ve just been trying to find what feels like home. D.C. is home.”

Rivals ranks him as the 29th best point guard in his recruiting class and No. 127 overall among recruits in his graduating class.

He started his high school career at DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland before transferring to Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington, Virginia for his sophomore season.

After committing, Freeman told Travis Branham of 247Sports that he had been on head coach Jamion Christian’s radar when Christian coached at Mount St. Mary’s four years ago. He added that once Christian moved to GW, assistant coach Nima Omidvar stayed in touch with Freeman.

The Colonials will play without five members of last year’s roster. Junior guard Justin Mazzulla, senior forward Arnaldo Toro, sophomore forward Mezie Offurum and freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr. transferred. Rising senior forward Javier Langarica will not return to the team for the upcoming season.

The team tabbed four new transfers – graduate student forward Matthew Moyer, graduate student guard Brandon Leftwich, junior forward Ricky Lindo Jr. and sophomore guard James Bishop.

Three freshmen – guard Lincoln Ball, guard Tyler Brelsford and center Noel Brown – will take the court for the 2020-21 season to complete the squad’s roster.