Weekend Outlook – Kayak along the Potomac River

Rent a kayak for $16 an hour to tour the Potomac River and see the Georgetown Waterfront from afar.
Hatchet File Photo by Katie Causey

Take a break from the crowded city and explore the flora and fauna of the District.

Beat the D.C. heat and start your weekend off by kayaking on the Potomac River, then enjoy some digital artwork at The Wharf and round it out with a nature hike at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens.

Friday

Rent a kayak

If you are looking for a way to cool off and try a new activity, rent a kayak with a couple of friends at the Key Bridge Boathouse. You’ll be able to take in the sights of the bustling Georgetown Waterfront and some of D.C.’s most memorable monuments as you kayak down the Potomac River. Keep in mind that time slots are capped at one hour, and reservations must be made in advance as you plan your day on the water.

3500 Water St. NW. Book a reservation here 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. $16 per hour.

Saturday

‘Hanami: Beyond the Blooms’

Missed the cherry blossoms this spring? Located in the Southwest and The Wharf neighborhood, the ARTECHOUSE reopened its digital art exhibit, “Hanami: Beyond the Blooms.” This annual exhibit reimagines the typical blossom viewing experience using various forms of art, technology and science. Tickets must be purchased in advance, as the museum is limiting capacity due to COVID-19 restrictions.

ARTECHOUSE, 128 Maryland Ave. SW. Buy tickets here 10 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. $15 per student ticket.

Sunday

Go on a nature walk

Take advantage of the warm weather and go on a scenic hike through the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. Be ready to snap some photos of the breathtaking lotus and lily flowers, along with any aquatic wildlife you may encounter as you stroll on one of its walking paths. Admission is free, but be prepared to bring your own water and hand sanitizer.

1550 Anacostia Ave. NE. Free. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.