Biden nominates alums to cabinet positions
By Sachini Adikari, Contributing News Editor • May 2, 2024

Officials ‘deeply concerned’ with social media posts detailing sexual abuse allegations

Officials from the Office for Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement said they are “deeply concerned” about the “hurt and pain” described in dozens of students’ sexual abuse allegations that have emerged on social media over the past several days.

Since Saturday, more than 60 members of the GW community have shared accounts of sexual abuse on Twitter and on @gwsurvivors, an Instagram account where students have anonymously shared stories of abuse. Administrators said the social media posts are not affiliated with GW, and using the platforms to share stories does not ensure allegations are reported and investigated by the University.

“We acknowledge that there are many different ways people respond to and heal from trauma,” officials wrote in the statement. “We want students to feel empowered to use the different support service options available to them at GW.”

Officials listed resources, like counseling and psychological services and the Office of Advocacy and Support, for students impacted by sexual abuse. Allegations of sexual assault, harassment, stalking and intimate partner violence can also be reported to the Title IX office, according to the statement.

“Our concern about these posts cannot be overstated,” officials wrote. “We want to be there for you.”