Technology company debuts scholarship fund for underrepresented students

A Maryland-based education technology company launched a $3 million scholarship fund for underrepresented people of color and women at 30 universities, including GW, to participate in technology bootcamps, according to a release earlier this month.

Black, Latino, Indigenous and female students who demonstrate “both need and merit” can apply for scholarships of $2,500, the release states. Students can use the scholarship to cover the cost of the various coding bootcamps offered by the College of Professional Studies teaching coding languages like HTML5, Java and CSS3, the release states.

2U is the parent company of Trilogy Education, a technology bootcamp provider that has partnered with the CPS in the past to offer bootcamps in topics like financial technology.

Andrew Hermalyn, the president of global partnerships at 2U, said the scholarship was implemented to “expand access” to technological programs, particularly in light of the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Our hope is that this scholarship helps more people from underrepresented communities enter the tech space,” Hermalyn said in the release. “But we know education is only the first step toward increasing diversity and equality for these communities in the workplace.”