Health equity program receives $3.5 million grant

The+Department+of+Biostatistics+and+Bioinformatics+in+the+Milken+Institute+School+of+Public+Health+added+10+courses%2C+including+computational+biology+and+clinical+trials.+
The Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics in the Milken Institute School of Public Health added 10 courses, including computational biology and clinical trials.

A health equity leadership program in the Milken Institute School of Public Health received a $3.5 million grant to support operations through 2028, according to a release Monday.

The Atlantic Philanthropies – a private foundation that donates to institutions advocating for health, social and political policies – awarded a grant to the Fitzhugh Mullan Institute for Health Workforce Equity to strengthen the Atlantic Fellows for Health Equity, a fellowship that explores ways to address global health care disparities, the release states.

Guenevere Burke, the director of the program and an assistant professor of emergency medicine, said the funding will help fellows in the program continue to solve “challenging” and “urgent” issues in public health.

Fellows who have graduated from the program have contributed to initiatives like improving health systems in Argentina and providing education to low-income U.S. students interested in working in health, according to the release.

“The Atlantic Fellows for Health Equity are an impressive group of leaders tackling some of the world’s most challenging and urgent public health problems,” Burke said. “The program has already seen remarkable achievements in its graduates, including navigating healthcare delivery during active conflict, pioneering universal health coverage implementation and exploring new media and technology solutions to eliminate health disparities.”