DC officials launch bid to host 2026 FIFA World Cup

District officials are pushing to bring the 2026 FIFA World Cup to D.C.

Mayor Muriel Bowser, Events DC and members of the newly formed DC FIFA World Cup 2026 Advisory Board launched a bid Tuesday to be selected as the location of the 2026 tournament, according to a release. Members of the committee said as a hub for nearly 200 embassies, host to “internationally-recognized events” and commitment to grow the game of soccer, the District is fit to hold the cup, according to the release.

“Right now, as countries around the world continue to respond to this pandemic, the 2026 FIFA World Cup is something we can all look forward to,” Bowser said in the release. “And when the tournament comes to North America, it only makes sense for D.C. – the Sports Capital and District of Champions – to host.”

The 40-member board includes figures from the District’s soccer community, including Olympic medalists, members of the D.C. United soccer team and D.C. United general partner Gregory O’Dell. Acclaimed chef José Andrés and several D.C. officials also sit on the committee, the release states.

If selected, the District would be one of 16 host cities for the tournament across North America. D.C. last held the World Cup in 1994, making RFK Stadium one of nine locations for the tournament.