Unpacking the Black Lives Matter movement

The police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis has renewed Black Lives Matter protests nationwide. But outside of national headlines, there is years’ worth of learning to unpack related to the BLM movement.

The Hatchet’s video team is exploring a different aspect of the movement and its impact on Black communities each week throughout the summer. The videos delve into wide-ranging issues related to BLM through interviews with D.C. civil rights activists, students leaders and faculty.

If you’d like to weigh in on the series with questions or ideas, please contact video@gwhatchet.com

Click to watch the videos

About this video

Black Lives Matter protests have taken place in more than 4,000 cities across the country, and several students have contributed to the cause in their respective hometowns. Students discussed the ways in which they advocated for the BLM movement. Some said they wrote to congress people for policy changes, while others spent time fundraising and protesting and organizing demonstrations themselves.

The Stonewall riots of 1969 in New York is widely considered to be the catalyst for the gay liberation movement and the fight for LGBTQ rights in the United States. This Pride Month, we’re exploring how that cause is connected to the Black Lives Matter movement.

The riots erupted after a scuffle between police officers and patrons of the Stonewall Inn, frequented by members of the LGBTQ community. Stormé DeLarverie, Marsha Johnson and other Black members of the LGBTQ community are credited with galvanizing the gay liberation movement by leading and participating in the riots and organizing subsequent marches and rallies.

We spoke with several student leaders about how the fight for racial equality relates to the push for LGBTQ rights and how non-Black members of the LGBTQ community can contribute to the Black Lives Matter movement this Pride Month.

Coming Soon.
Coming Soon.
Coming Soon.
Coming Soon.
Coming Soon.
Coming Soon.