Officials plan for on-campus students to keep housing assignments for fall semester

Officials+will+increase+the+number+of+off-campus+housing+exemptions+to+accommodate+upperclassmen+who+can+no+longer+live+in+Mitchell%2C+Guthridge+and+West+halls+during+Thurston+renovations.+
Officials will increase the number of off-campus housing exemptions to accommodate upperclassmen who can no longer live in Mitchell, Guthridge and West halls during Thurston renovations.

Officials currently plan to preserve all housing assignments for the fall semester, despite plans to separate beds six feet apart in all on-campus residence halls.

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said officials “adjusted” the occupancy of housing units containing bunk beds, but students living in those rooms will not need to be reassigned. She said students can continue living in triples and quads as long as there is “sufficient space” in each bedroom.

The University’s reopening plan states that students cannot use bunk beds in the fall to allow beds to be separated by at least six feet.

“The only residence hall units that had occupancy adjusted were rooms that originally housed bunk beds,” Nosal said. “Based on the locations of these units, there is no need to reassign students.”

Nosal said the University is “in a different position” than other schools because most of the rooms on campus are apartment-style housing units with limited bathroom sharing. She said 75 percent of students on campus share a bedroom or bathroom with no more than one other student and 25 percent share a bedroom or bathroom with two or three others.

Administrators sent a proposal of the University’s reopening plans to D.C. officials earlier this month and will seek approval by early July, Provost Brian Blake said.

Kevin Days, the director of community relations, said at a Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission meeting last week that the University plans to “de-densify” students in the fall.