Men’s basketball coaching staff to host coaching symposium

The men’s basketball coaching staff will facilitate a 12-hour virtual symposium Wednesday featuring Black coaches, sports administrators and sports industry experts, according to a press release Thursday.

360 Mentoring will provide an opportunity for prominent Black coaches, scouts, administrators and athletic directors to share their industry expertise through hour-long panel discussions on CoachTube, the release states. Conversations will cover topics like overcoming challenges, Black coaches in athletics today and fighting stigma, according to the release.

“We wanted to build a comprehensive event that would showcase the strength we have around the country and share the knowledge that is needed for everyone to thrive and lift each other as we rise,” Head Coach Jamion Christian said in the release.

The men’s basketball program has been vocal on Twitter about discrimination against Black people following the police murder of George Floyd. Christian also released a personal statement and video calling for change.

The symposium boasts a 36-speaker roster. Shaka Smart, the head men’s basketball coach at Texas, and Tubby Smith, the head men’s basketball coach at High Point and the second coach ever to lead five different teams to the NCAA Tournament, headline the 15 head coaches expected to speak.

Provost Brian Blake, Multicultural Student Services Center Director Michael Tapscott and Athletic Director Tanya Vogel will join the men’s basketball coaching staff as GW representatives at the symposium. Other “high-profile speakers and moderators” are still being confirmed, the release states.