Luther W. Brady Art Gallery director to retire after almost half century at GW

Lenore Miller, the director of University art galleries and chief curator of the Luther W. Brady Art Gallery, will retire from her position at the end of June, according to a University release.

Miller, who earned a master’s degree in fine arts in 1972, has has held her current role since 2007, according to the release. She has been involved in supervising the installation of nearly every sculpture on GW’s campus and has curated more than 400 exhibits for the Brady Gallery, the release states.

The Brady Gallery was established in 2002 and was modeled after the Dimock Gallery, a gallery for student and faculty art exhibitions. It now has a collection of more than 4,000 artifacts and educational exhibitions, according to a 2017 release marking the gallery’s 15th anniversary.

“I am content that the future of the visual arts at GW is strong and adds immeasurably to the sense of identity on the campus,” she said in the release.

The release did not state who will take over Miller’s position.

“As a ‘lifer’ at GW, I am grateful for the supportive community I am surrounded with – from the doctors at GW Hospital and MFA center to the academic units and faculty,” Miller said. “I am grateful for so many learned and vibrant colleagues who have made my career here endlessly challenging with so many interesting interactions.”

John Wetenhall, the director of the George Washington University Museum and Textile Museum, said Miller has served as a “force of art” throughout her career.

“Over decades of service, Lenore has cultivated artists and donors to build our University’s art collection and has worked with faculty across campus to promote hands-on learning and student research,” Wetenhall said in the release.