Law school faculty pass resolution pledging to implement anti-racism initiatives

Rosa Celorio, the associate dean for international and comparative legal studies, said the new concentrations will distinguish GW Law graduates from others in the field.

GW Law faculty passed a resolution vowing to implement eight anti-racism initiatives like bias training and a review of bias and discrimination reports, according to a release Friday.

The resolution comes after the police killings of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd and nationwide protests against police brutality. The resolution includes plans to increase the number of non-White faculty and staff, improve efforts to recruit students of color and implement workshops on race-sensitive teaching, the release states.

“We, the faculty of The George Washington University Law School, hold ourselves accountable for engaging in the daily work of combatting racism as individuals and as an institution,” the resolution states.

Faculty also pledged in the resolution to evaluate classroom teaching to “eliminate” racial and cultural bias. Law school professors will work to develop workshops and seminars on race-sensitive teaching, according to the resolution.

The resolution also states that law school faculty will work to bolster recruitment for students of color by working with historically Black colleges and universities and the Black Law Student Association.

“We pledge to continue to collaborate closely with the GW Black Law Students Association and other student organizations focused on these issues,” the resolution states.

Faculty also committed themselves to educate students on issues of inequality and racial oppression in the justice system by bringing in “outstanding” lawyers to teach seminars and courses on those topics.

“We pledge to approach these efforts with humility and respect, mindful of the importance of listening to and learning from those of us most impacted by systemic oppression,” the resolution states.