Submit an op-ed to The Hatchet

The Hatchet is run by students and aims to serve as a voice for the GW and Foggy Bottom communities. While regular writers submit their opinions to the newspaper every week, there are still perspectives that aren’t included in the ranks.

We want to hear from you. If you have an opinion you’d like to share, please submit an op-ed here or email us with your piece at [email protected].

When you’re considering a submission, consider the timeliness of your piece and relevance to GW or Foggy Bottom. For example, several recently published pieces have discussed issues like racism, GW’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and fossil fuel divestment. Op-eds are not tools to promote an organization to which you belong but serve to spark or add to campus discussions.

Once your piece is submitted, it will be reviewed by Contributing Opinions Editor Andrew Sugrue, Editor in Chief Sarah Roach and me. The three of us will decide whether to publish the piece and will respond to you within two to three days.

After that, your piece will undergo up to three rounds of edits, during which we comment on your piece with clarifying questions and stylistic changes, following Associated Press and Hatchet rules. Once the final round of edits are completed by the editor in chief, your piece will be sent back to you for approval. If and when you approve, the piece is ready to be published.

This paper belongs to you as much as it belongs to the people who help run it. The Hatchet strives to share stories about the GW community, and the opinions section is dedicated to sharing views that reflect the vastness and diversity of our community.

If you have any questions about the op-ed process, please email me at [email protected] or the editor in chief at [email protected].

Hannah Thacker, a rising junior majoring in political communication, is the opinions editor.