Smithsonian Institution puts $25 million toward race-related exhibits, programming

File Photo by Sabrina Godin | Assistant Photo Editor
The initiative will include a series of virtual town halls about social justice and economic mobility.

The Smithsonian Institution is allocating $25 million to race-related exhibits and programming following a donation from Bank of America, one of its partners, according to a release Monday.

The “Race, Community and Our Shared Future” initiative will examine how Americans grasp and confront issues of race and how it impacts communities and the future of the country, the release states. The program will kick off with a series of virtual town halls with several global and national leaders to discuss topics like civil rights, social justice and economic mobility, according to the release.

“The Smithsonian’s expertise, scholarship and collections will help our nation to better understand the challenges that arise from racism, to confront our difficult history and to unite to bring healing and hope for our future,” Lonnie Bunch, the secretary of the Smithsonian, said in the release.

Six museums – the National Museum of African American History and Culture; the National Museum of the American Indian; the Smithsonian Latino Center; the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center; the National Museum of American History; and the Smithsonian American Women’s History Initiative – will participate in the program, according to the release.

Prior to the donation, Bank of America also committed $1 billion to “advance issues of racial equality, health care and economic opportunities” in minority communities. The bank has also donated millions to aid those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and assist minority-owned businesses, the release states.