SMHS, MFA urge health professionals to address police brutality

The+development+and+fundraising+department+of+the+School+of+Medicine+and+Health+Sciences+is+looking+to+fill+five+open+positions%2C+most+of+which+have+been+vacant+for+more+than+a+year.+
File Photo by Alexander Welling | Senior Staff Photographer
The development and fundraising department of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences is looking to fill five open positions, most of which have been vacant for more than a year.

School of Medicine and Health Sciences and Medical Faculty Associates leaders pledged to address racism and inequity in GW’s medical community in a statement Sunday.

Medical school Dean and MFA CEO Barbara Lee Bass and interim Senior Associate Dean for Diversity and Faculty Affairs Yolanda Haywood wrote that they support the National Medical Association’s calls to address racism in policing to counter the public health crisis of discriminatory police violence. Students, faculty, staff and administrators will continue working toward eradicating racism, implicit bias and inequity within the medical school and MFA communities, according to the statement.

“We call on each of you to personally commit to supporting the goals of justice and equity for all of our citizens in all aspects of their lives, so that all may enjoy the freedom and opportunity that makes this country strong,” the statement reads. “The deep wound of racism cannot continue to fester. It requires that we each become an anti-racist.”

Faculty, students and staff can contact the medical school’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion for support and additional resources, according to the statement.

“During this frightening time, we ask that you practice compassion and radical empathy for our colleagues who have been disproportionately impacted by these events,” the statement reads.

The Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Community Engagement posted a letter Sunday condemning racism, anti-blackness and recent acts of police violence and brutality against black Americans. Diversity and inclusion officials will host events in the coming days and invite members of the GW community to register via a Google form.