Bowser orders curfew, activates National Guard to support police in controlling protests

File Photo by Dean Whitelaw | Staff Photographer
Mayor Muriel Bowser fielded questions from Ward 2 residents about addressing homelessness.

Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered a citywide curfew for the District for Sunday night in response to recent protests over incidents of police brutality.

The curfew will last from 11:00 p.m. on Sunday until 6:00 a.m. on Monday after thousands of demonstrators marched through Ward 2 Saturday in the second day of protests related to the recent deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, two black citizens who were killed at the hands of police in recent months. Bowser also activated the District’s National Guard to support the Metropolitan Police Department in controlling the protests, according to a tweet from the mayor’s office.

The announcement comes after Bowser said in a situational update earlier Sunday that officials would not be implementing a curfew.

“We know that the people who were disruptive last night are not likely curfew followers,” she said earlier. “The chief’s deployment plan will address how to deal with crowds and certainly how to deal with splinter groups that split off from the main crowd.”