Virtual Weekend Outlook – Jam out at an open mic night from your living room

Try+a+virtual+open+mic+night%2C+brush+up+on+your+Spanish+skills+and+cook+up+some+soul+food+this+weekend.+
Photo Illustration by Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Try a virtual open mic night, brush up on your Spanish skills and cook up some soul food this weekend.

Now that summer is in full swing, set some time aside to continue learning and practice your hobbies. Start the weekend showcasing your talents at an at-home jam session, practice your Spanish Saturday, then learn a vegan brunch recipe just in time for Sunday brunch.

Friday

Open mic jam session from your couch

If you miss D.C.’s eccentric and quirky open mic nights, spend your Friday night at a virtual jam session on Zoom. Participants are encouraged to read their poetry, play an instrument, vent about life in quarantine or merely share what they cooked for a meal, according to the event Facebook page. People are encouraged to volunteer to speak before the event starts or raise their hand on the Zoom call to participate toward the end of the night, the event description states.

2 p.m. EDT. Register here. Free.

Saturday

Tune up your Spanish skills

Quarantine has probably left you with more free time than you anticipated. Use it productively and practice your Spanish by joining a digital language immersion conversation all about food, hosted by the online platform Splingua. You can talk about your favorite dishes with Spanish learners from all around the world. While the recommended level is for intermediate speakers, all proficiency levels are welcome to join.

Online at 9 p.m. EDT. Free.

Sunday

Cook vegan soul food

Want to impress your family with a healthy brunch alternative? Join wellness guru Christina Gdisis and learn how to make Cajun oyster mushroom shrimp and cheesy grits with ingredients that “embody love.” Gdisis offers packages that include more substantial deals as you sign up for more classes.

11 a.m. EDT. Register here. $20 for one class