Second research ecosystem report released, pushing need for investment, communication

Researchers in the chemistry department use the telescope to research greenhouse gas concentrations.

The Phase II research ecosystem report recommends that GW invest in adding more research facilities, according to a University release Tuesday.

The report – compiled by four faculty-led working groups – includes recommendations to improve shared research facilities, data computing infrastructure, workforce development and resource allocation. The recommendations include measures like adding an additional research facility “similar” to the Science and Engineering Hall, supporting the development of a Postdoctoral Office and establishing an inventory of shared research facilities.

The report also calls on officials to increase research opportunities for undergraduates and improve financial support for graduate students and postdoctoral researchers.

“Actionable items have been identified in all four areas. However, there is a need for GW to be more effective and to learn from the effort and practices of peer and aspirational institutions,” the report states. “The GW administration can use the information from this report to determine the strategic planning and investments that can be made to maximize the research and scholarship efforts of the University.”

The full report, dated Feb. 7, 2020, was submitted to University President Thomas LeBlanc, according to the release. An executive summary of the report is publicly available, but individuals can email the Office of the Vice President for Research for a full copy, the release states.

Officials released the findings of GW’s first-ever faculty-led research ecosystem review last spring, which focused on pre- and post-award processes, research integrity and compliance and non-sponsored research and scholarship.

Officials also detailed updates based off the recommendations in the Phase I report. The ongoing measures include the implementation of an electronic research administration tool and hiring of additional staff to the Office of Research Integrity and the Division of Information Technology.

Other changes include the implementation of an online system to streamline compensation for research participants and the piloting of Protocol Builder, a resource that helps researchers develop studies that involve human volunteers.