GW Hospital to expand Ebola care unit for upgraded infectious disease treatment

Officials+said+the+patient+who+was+refused+testing+at+the+GW+Hospital+did+not+fit+the+criteria+for+testing.+
File Photo by Alexander Welling
Officials said the patient who was refused testing at the GW Hospital did not fit the criteria for testing.

The GW Hospital will expand its Ebola care unit to increase its capacity for infectious disease treatment amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Washington Business Journal reported.

The hospital obtained a construction permit in March to reconfigure its fifth-floor facility consisting of patient rooms and its Ebola unit that spans 2,055 square feet, according to the Business Journal. The renovation will redesign more than 2,000 square feet on the hospital’s fifth floor, the Business Journal reported.

GW Hospital spokeswoman Susan Griffiths said the new space will allow hospital staff to treat “highly infectious pathogens” and sharpen its care for patients.

“This initiative will expand the use of the space and ensure that we are best positioned to serve our community now and for years to come,” Griffiths told the Business Journal. “As always, we will continue to focus on ways to enhance our care for all patients.”

GW Hospital previously established an Ebola Operations Plan to address the virus’ spread, outlining special treatment training and adherence with travel advisories set by the Centers for Disease Control.