Rising senior forward leaves men’s basketball program

Rising senior forward Javier Langarica left the men’s basketball program and has not entered the transfer portal, athletic department spokesman Brian Sereno said Tuesday.

The forward spent three seasons with the Colonials and averaged 4.1 points and four rebounds per game in 16.4 average minutes of action throughout his career. He started 32 of his 56 career appearances, with 25 of those starts taking place in his sophomore campaign.

Langarica, a Spain native and the program’s sole international student-athlete, made just 10 appearances his freshman year. During the 2018-19 season, his minutes soared from 2.7 to 21.9 per game.

He ranked second on the team in rebounding for the 2018-19 season, averaging 5.3 boards per game. Langarica wrestled a team-high 176 rebounds on the year and tacked on 5.6 points per game and 37 blocks to round out his second season.

A hand injury sidelined him for a two-month stretch this season, causing him to miss the bulk of conference competition. He played in 13 games, averaging 3.1 rebounds, 2.5 points and 13 minutes on the court. Langarica netted the game-winning basket against Boston University to give the Colonials their fourth win of the season.

Langarica is the fifth player to leave the squad since the 2019-20 season began. Senior forward Arnaldo Toro, sophomore forward Mezie Offurum, junior guard Justin Mazzulla and freshman guard Shawn Walker Jr. transferred out of the program.

The Colonials added four new commits – graduate student forward Matthew Moyer, graduate student guard Brandon Leftwich, junior guard Ricky Lindo Jr. and sophomore guard James Bishop.

The team is set to return nine players from the 2019-20 season. With Langarica’s departure, rising senior guard Maceo Jack is the only player on the 15-member roster with more than one season of GW basketball under his belt.