Officials cancel fall study abroad, continue suspending non-essential international travel

File Photo by William Stricklett | Photographer
Students who were enrolled in study abroad programs that were canceled say there are limited housing options back on campus.

All fall study abroad programs are canceled and GW-affiliated, non-essential travel is postponed “until further notice,” officials said in an email Tuesday.

GW-related travel “that is believed to be essential” will be considered for approval by the relevant deans or vice presidents, and non-essential international travel like educational conferences could be postponed or managed through other “alternative methods,” the email states. Members of the GW community can contact their vice president or dean to request approval for essential travel, according to the email.

“We know these travel restrictions may have a significant impact on your studies or your work,” Provost Brian Blake and Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Mark Diaz said in the joint email. “We appreciate your understanding as we take the necessary steps to protect the health and safety of our community members.”

Graduate students intending to receive academic credit for international travel that is necessary to graduate must be approved by their respective dean or vice president, the email states. Research-related travel that cannot be delayed, “managed by alternative methods” and is necessary to sustain a research project is deemed essential, according to the email.

Associate Provost of International Programs Donna Scarboro also announced in an email Tuesday that all students who planned to study abroad this fall are allowed to switch their travel plans to the spring if their schedules permit.

“Please understand that the University did not come to this decision lightly,” Scarboro said. “Our top priority is ensuring your health and safety amid the continuing COVID-19 crisis.”

University President Thomas LeBlanc said at a Faculty Senate meeting earlier this month that officials will provide an update on plans for the fall semester by around the middle of June.