Deep clean of campus set to prep University for potential fall reopening

Officials+cut+the+number+of+housing+price+options+from+17+to+five+brackets.+
File Photo by Sarah Urtz | Senior Staff Photographer
Officials cut the number of housing price options from 17 to five brackets.

The University will clean campus facilities this summer to prepare for possibly reopening to students in the fall semester.

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said the project will involve installing more sanitizing stations, disinfecting “high-touch surfaces” and adopting other recommended practices to uphold campus safety upon reopening. The plan comes as universities across the country assess their public health safety and make decisions about whether or not campuses are ready to handle in-person classes in the fall.

“The University has created a series of committees that are working on the multiple challenges/concerns, which will need to be addressed once students, faculty, staff and visitors return to our campuses, including how we will operate and clean campus facilities in light of COVID-19,” she said in an email.

Nosal said officials from the Division of Safety & Security and Facilities Planning, Construction & Management will spearhead the project in conjunction with “stakeholders” from various University departments. She said officials will work with students and “senior leadership” to communicate plans regarding reopening the University to a safe and clean campus.

Nosal declined to say when the project will begin and which facilities will be cleaned.