Provost appoints interim head of Elliott School of International Affairs

File Photo by Jack Fonseca | Senior Staff Photographer
Ilana Feldman worked at Columbia and New York universities prior to joining GW in 2007, at which she supported the Institute for Middle East Studies’ launch at the Elliott School.

Updated May 11, 2020 at 11:42 p.m.

The vice dean of the Elliott School of International Affairs will take over as interim leader of the school at the end of the month, according to a University release.

Ilana Feldman, a professor of anthropology, history and international affairs, will begin her position as interim dean on May 30 after Reuben Brigety steps down to serve as president of Sewanee: The University of the South. Feldman has previously served as an assistant professor for more than a decade and conducted “extensive” research on the condition of Palestinians in the Middle East before taking on the role.

“As an expert in her field with close working relationships with faculty, students and staff, she is an excellent choice to serve in this role,” Provost Brian Blake said in the release. “We are excited and pleased that she will lead Elliott during this challenging time.”

Feldman worked at Columbia and New York universities prior to joining GW in 2007, at which she supported the Institute for Middle East Studies’ launch at the Elliott School, the release states.

Prior to becoming vice dean, she served as the director of graduate studies in the anthropology department and was involved in creating its doctoral program, according to the release.

Brigety said in an email to Elliott School students Monday that Feldman has been “highly effective” in managing the school’s operations as vice dean.

“I have the highest confidence that she is the best person to shepherd the Elliott School through this extraordinary time,” he said in the email. “I am certain that she will position the Elliott School for a successful transition to a new dean.”