Professional football, women’s basketball drafts bring new additions to D.C.

The Washington Mystics picked up two players, Jaylyn Agnew and Sug Sutton, at this year’s Women’s National Basketball Association draft earlier this month.

With competition around the world on pause because of the COVID-19 pandemic, all eyes were on the Women’s National Basketball Association and National Football League drafts over the past two weeks.

Two D.C. teams – the Washington Mystics and Washington Redskins – grabbed selections to bolster squads that were heading in opposite directions last season. The Mystics, who are reigning WNBA Champions, nabbed two selections while The Redskins, who finished last season 3-13, selected eight players.

The drafts were modified to comply with stay-at-home orders, with cameras present in players’ homes to capture their reactions. Meet the Mystics and Redskins’ newest additions:

Washington Mystics

Jaylyn Agnew

Agnew is a 5-foot-11-inch forward out of Creighton and was selected No. 24 overall. After redshirting her first season with the Bluejays, she nabbed Big East Freshman of the Year. She kept the momentum up in her second season, earning a Big East Second Team All-Conference selection after starting in 31 of 32 games.

She battled through injury in her third year on the hardwood but still netted more than 10 points per game. As a senior, Agnew led the Big East in scoring, averaging 20.8 points per game and firing at a .440 clip from the field and .374 from three-point range. She tacked on 6.3 rebounds, 3.3 assists and one blocked shot per game on 37.7 minutes per contest.

Sug Sutton

Sutton is a 5-foot-8-inch guard out of Texas and was taken No. 36 overall. She racked up much of her playing time during her freshman and sophomore seasons, starting in a total of three games and averaging 3.8 and 6.8 points, respectively.

She exploded during the 2018-19 season, starting in all 33 games, averaging 12.7 points, 5.4 assists and 5.4 rebounds per game en route to spots on the Big 12 All-Conference First Team and Big 12 All-Tournament Team. Sutton kept her momentum up her senior season, averaging the fifth most assists per game in the Big 12 (4.1) and 10.4 points.

Washington Redskins

Chase Young

Young is a 6-foot-5-inch, 265-pound defensive end from Ohio State and was drafted No. 2 overall. In 38 games played with the Buckeyes, he amassed 30 sacks, increasing his takedowns every year. His defensive prowess earned him a finalist spot in this season’s Heisman voting, making him the ninth defensive player to reach the feat since 1982.

He led the Big Ten and NCAA with 14 unassisted sacks for 117 yards, averaging 1.38 sacks per game this year. He finished fourth in the NCAA and first in the Big Ten in tackles for loss, with 16 under his belt. With six forced fumbles, Young led the NCAA and conference again, averaging .5 per game.

Antonio Gibson

Gibson is a 6-foot-2-inch, 220-pound wide receiver out of Memphis and was taken No. 66 overall. He came to Memphis by way of East Central Community College, where he ran for 1,120 yards and scored 16 touchdowns.

A jack-of-all-trades, Gibson saw most of his time on the field as a wide receiver, scoring eight touchdowns and making 38 catches for 735 yards. But he also stepped in at running back and took a few snaps at quarterback this season. He served as the primary kick returner, recording 23 catches and running for 645 yards. His efforts landed him second-team All-American Athletic Conference and AAC Co-Special Teams Player of the Year this season.

Saahdiq Charles

Charles is a 6-foot-4-inch, 295-pound offensive tackle from LSU and was selected No. 108 overall. A 2020 National Champion, he played most of his minutes at left tackle but also nabbed minutes at right tackle and right guard.

He notched nine starts in his freshman season, playing a total of 687 snaps to earn a spot on the Freshman All-SEC Team. He played in and started 10 games at left tackle during his sophomore year, for a total of 762 snaps.

After missing the nonconference schedule due to a violation of team rules, he started the nine remaining games at left tackle during his final season with the Tigers. With 653 snaps under his belt on the offensive line, his unit won the Joe Moore Award for the top offensive line in the nation this year.

Antonio Gandy-Golden

Gandy-Golden is a 6-foot-4-inch, 220-pound wide receiver from Liberty and was drafted No. 142 overall. Gandy-Golden made an immediate impact his freshman season, finishing second on the team in receiving yards (315) on 21 catches.

He exploded in his sophomore season, to lead the Big South in receiving yards (1,066) and receptions (69). He started eight of 10 games and nabbed Big South All-Conference first-team honors.

He recorded two more 1,000-plus receiving yard seasons and ranked in the top-five nationally in the category his senior season. He claimed back-to-back 10 touchdown seasons, starting out wide in all games to wrap his career as a Flame.

Keith Ismael

Ismael is a 6-foot-3-inch, 310-pound offensive lineman out of San Diego State and was drafted No. 156 overall. He made an immediate impact his freshman year, starting in all 13 games as a center and right guard. He played the most snaps (829) of any player en route to a second-team all-Mountain West honor.

He started all but one game his sophomore season, taking 821 snaps. A versatile lineman, Ismael saw time at the left guard, center and right guard positions and was named to the All-Mountain West first-team. He was a mainstay for the Aztecs in his final season, playing 954 of the team’s 956 offensive snaps at center. He earned another All-Mountain West first-team selection.

Khaleke Hudson

Hudson is a 6-foot, 220-pound linebacker out of Michigan and was drafted No. 162 overall. Hudson saw time as a safety and linebacker, starting 37 of 52 career games.

He played as a safety and on special teams his first season, blocking two punts. He had a breakout sophomore season, completing 83 tackles, 18.5 tackles for losses and nabbing two interceptions on his way to an All-Big Ten third-team selection.

In his junior and senior seasons, he started 24 games at viper, securing 146 tackles, four sacks and three blocked punts. He nabbed an All-Big Ten honorable mention his junior year.

Kamren Curl

Curl is a 6-foot-2-inch, 198-pound safety from Arkansas and was picked No. 216 overall. He made an immediate impact, starting 11 of 12 games as a freshman cornerback and tying for the team lead in pass breakups (eight). He moved to the strong safety for his final two years with the team, starting 22 games for the Razorbacks.

As a sophomore, Curl played 722 snaps and recorded three or more tackles in every game. A Preseason All-SEC Third Team selection prior to his junior season, Curl notched 789 snaps. His 76 tackles were the fourth-most on the squad and his 46 solo tackles ranked No. 2 on the team.

James Smith-Williams

Smith-Williams is a 6-foot-3-inch, 265-pound edge defender from NC State and went No. 229 overall. His college playing days were truncated by injuries in his first two years.

In a return to the field, Smith-Williams blocked a punt that led to a touchdown and notched 37 total tackles. He finished his collegiate career with 82 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and three pass deflections.