Dish of the Week, from home: Baked mac and cheese

Take+a+stab+at+baked+mac+and+cheese+while+procrastibaking+on+final+exam+prep+and+end-of-semester+papers.+
Stephanie Cheung | Staff Photographer
Take a stab at baked mac and cheese while “procrastibaking” on final exam prep and end-of-semester papers.

Cooking good ol’ fashioned comfort food is the best way to procrastinate – and get through – final exams or papers.

Everyone needs a break from the quarantine-induced baking mania, so I selected a mac and cheese dish to satisfy my comfort craving. This recipe is passed down from a friend, who is a home cook and studied recipes from countless cookbooks to create her ideal mac and cheese.

The recipe calls for:

• 2 cups of mini pasta shells
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • ½ teaspoon ground mustard
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • A few pinches of salt
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella
  • ¼ cup parmesan
  • ¼ cup panko bread crumbs

The laundry list of ingredients could be understandably difficult for a quarantined home cook to get their hands on. After searching my pantry high and low, I had to make some modifications. Instead of mini shells, I used elbow macaroni. In place of the heavy cream, I whisked together two tablespoons of melted butter and one-third cup whole milk. And because I did not want to wait four hours in a line at the grocery store for some bread crumbs, I crushed one-fourth cup of pita chips to substitute.

Once you’ve gathered your version of the ingredient list, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Then, boil your pasta for one minute less than the box instructions for al dente, or until still slightly firm in the center. You do not want your macaroni to become mushy after it goes in the oven to bake. Once it is heated up, completely drain and set aside.

While your pasta boils, place your butter on medium heat in a medium saucepan until it is completely melted. As your butter melts, heat the whole milk and heavy cream together for about one minute in the microwave.

To create your roux, a thickening paste commonly used in sauces, slowly whisk the flour into the butter. Once the flour is completely mixed into the butter, you should be left with a dough-like paste. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the whole milk, heavy cream, ground mustard, garlic powder and salt.

Turn the heat off, but keep it on the stove. Then, mix in the cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan, setting aside a little less than one-fourth cup of the cheeses to top the mac and cheese after it’s out of the oven.

Fold the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce and once the pasta is completely coated, pour it into a nine-by-nine inch baking dish. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and bread crumbs. I grated a little extra cheese for added richness. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and serve.

Having survived last semester on instant ramen and microwaveable mac and cheese, this baked mac and cheese dish was an upgrade. The gooey combination of cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan will satisfy any cheese-lover.

This was my first time trying this recipe, so there are a few adjustments I would make if I were to cook this dish for again. If you want the top to have a crunchier finish, make sure it is truly a golden brown when you take it out of the oven. Each oven varies, so 20 minutes in one oven might have the same outcome as 10 minutes in another. I would also recommend leaving the cheese in the freezer for a half-hour so it’s firmer and easier to grate. It also helps to add some non-stick cooking spray to the grater for better results.

Procrastibaking” has been proven to alleviate stress, and your parents will be pleased to see you making a comforting dinner. Try this recipe to help you get through a long semester of class.