Volleyball nabs transfer setter to round out 2020 roster

A South Florida sophomore setter transferred into the volleyball program, head coach Sarah Bernson announced Wednesday.

Lauren LaBeck led South Florida’s roster with 767 assists during her sophomore campaign. Bernson said LaBeck, who has two remaining years of eligibility, will help bolster the team’s offense and can help build the team’s existing setting corps, which consists of sophomore Heather Merryman.

“As a setter, she has a strong presence, thrives on communication and is inclusive to all her attackers,” Bernson said in the release. “We look forward to her joining our setter corps with Heather Merryman and being a source of offense for our exciting attackers.”

She was second in assists her freshman year, transitioning to South Florida’s primary setter in the final stretch of the season. During her two years as a Bull, LaBeck tallied 175 career sets, 298 digs and 63 kills.

“I’m excited and honored to be a part of the GW volleyball program,” LaBeck said in the release. “GW is a place where I have the opportunity to continue playing high-level volleyball, earn a first-class education and be supported by my coaches and teammates.”

Before breaking onto the college scene, LaBeck attended Grayslake Central. She holds the single-season assists record (784) and the career assists record (1,795) at her alma mater.

Last season, the Colonials ranked second-to-last in the Atlantic 10 in assists per set, with an average of 10.6. Their opponents averaged 11.7 assists per set, good for fifth in the A-10.

Next year, the Colonials will be without senior setter Jaimeson Lee, who ranked seventh all time in career assists and notched 894 assists in her final season with the program.

Volleyball returned to the A-10 tournament for the second time under Bernson after missing out on postseason play in 2018. The Colonials are set to return nine members of last season’s squad. Freshman setter Malia Yim no longer appears on the roster and is no longer with the program, according to athletic department spokesperson Kevin Burke.

LaBeck rounds out a four-member recruiting class including graduate student opposite Ashley Waggle, freshman outside hitter Elizabeth Drelling and freshman opposite Liv Womble.