Lime scooters return to D.C. with discounts for health care workers

DDOT officials suspended Skip’s operating license amid three lithium battery-related fires over the past year.

Scooter company Lime is returning to the District with a small fleet and offering a discount to health care workers amid the ongoing pandemic.

The reintroduction of 50 scooters to the city’s streets is part of the company’s “Lime Aid” program, which began Wednesday in 14 cities including the District. The program is designed to support micromobility and to fill an “integral transportation gap” during the pandemic, and health care workers and law enforcement personnel can receive free 30-minute rides if they sign up online, according to Lime’s website.

“The goal is to help workers who might otherwise have difficulty, either because they don’t want to take Metro or rideshare or because the Metro is running with service reductions,” Russell Murphy, a communications manager for Lime, said in an email. “As you know, scooters offer a socially isolating way of traveling and can help alleviate concerns over traveling in proximity to others.”

Lime, along with three other scooter companies, was originally slated to cease operation in the District as of April 1. But the District Department of Transportation extended the 2019 Dockless Shared Vehicle Program through the end of 2020 in light of the District’s state of emergency, allowing all scooter companies to continue operating until then, WUSA9 reported Wednesday.