Dish of the Week, from home: loaded egg muffins

This+protein-packed+egg+bake+will+fuel+your+mornings.+
Miranda Nazzaro | Photographer
This protein-packed egg bake will fuel your mornings.

Step up your breakfast from a bowl of cereal to a quick, sustaining egg bake.

Loaded breakfast egg muffins are a quick and healthy dish that can help satisfy your GW Deli breakfast cravings. This gluten-free recipe can be easily altered depending on your protein and vegetable preferences to create a well-balanced breakfast.

To make this zesty dish, you’ll need a muffin tray, oil or cooking spray, five eggs and the rest is up to you. I used three tablespoons of diced bell pepper, two tablespoons of diced red onion, three tablespoons of shredded cheddar and two tablespoons of diced honey ham. For some extra nutrients, try adding spinach.

This recipe should make five muffins with a 15-by-11 inch muffin tray of 12 muffin slots.

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees while chopping up your protein and vegetables of choice. Next, put the chopped ingredients to the side and whisk the five eggs in a separate bowl with a dash of salt and pepper.

Once the eggs are whisked, add in the chopped ingredients and shredded cheese. As I mixed everything together, it became very dense and required me to whisk a few minutes longer than expected to evenly distribute the ingredients.

Next, lightly coat the muffin tray with whatever oil you have on hand and pour the egg mixture into the tray. The egg mixture should completely fill each muffin slot and not overflow.

Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes and let them cool for about five minutes. For finishing touches, dash on black pepper for flavor.

These egg muffins live up to the hype of online cooking blogs and Pinterest. The dish has layered flavors from onion to the sweet honey ham.

My favorite part of the dish was the cheese drizzle, which complements the other vegetables and protein of the muffin. The cheese melts in your mouth and goes well with a side of hot sauce or ketchup for extra flavor. The vegetables are also cooked just enough that the shape of the muffin stays firm to avoid a mess while eating.

As a novice in the kitchen, the recipe was easy to follow and can be made in bulk to last a few days. If you don’t want to cook before a morning Zoom class, you can freeze the egg muffins and pop them in the oven.

Even if you have little cooking experience, loaded egg muffins are a quick, well-balanced breakfast alternative to the traditional scrambled eggs or omelet.