Op-ed: Take the time to vote on the referendums

SJ Matthews is the Student Association president.

The student voice is important, and it must be protected.

This week, students have the opportunity to vote in favor of several referendums that deal directly with the student voice and student representation. From calling on the University to divest, recognizing graduate students’ right to unionize and including graduate and undergraduate voting members on the Board of Trustees, the student body has the chance to come together and demand a seat at the table and advocate for crucial changes at this University.

When I wrote the referendum advocating for the inclusion of two student voting members on the board, I was inspired by student activism on campus and my own experience as a board observer. The time has come for students to be let in on the discussions and decisions that affect us directly – no longer can we sit idly by. At the end of the day, the Board of Trustees has the final say on our campus when it comes to divestment, tuition prices and other important matters. Other institutions have allowed students to serve as student trustees, and it is time that GW follows suit.

This week, make your voice heard by voting in the SA elections for president, executive vice president and senators, but also take the time to vote on the referendums. When we as a community can come together in support of something, the student voice becomes not only powerful but unstoppable. It has been an honor to serve as your president and advocate on behalf of the GW community, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for our University community.