ANC commissioner polls highest of nine candidates for Ward 2 D.C. Council spot, poll shows

Foggy+Bottom+and+West+End+Advisory+Neighborhood+Commissioner+Patrick+Kennedy+filed+paperwork+with+the+Office+of+Campaign+Finance+Monday+to+unseat+D.C.+Councilmember+Jack+Evans%2C+who+is+up+for+re-election+next+year.+
Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner Patrick Kennedy filed paperwork with the Office of Campaign Finance Monday to unseat D.C. Councilmember Jack Evans, who is up for re-election next year.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission chair is emerging as a frontrunner in the race for the Ward 2 D.C. Council seat, according to poll results his campaign released Wednesday.

Patrick Kennedy is polling at 18 percent among registered Democrats in Ward 2, according to the poll administered by Survey USA. Kennedy said in his campaign’s press release that the findings reveal that Ward 2’s voters are looking to make a “change” during this year’s election.

“This poll validates the hard work that our volunteers and supporters have put in to date, and I look forward to building on their work and reaching more voters in the months ahead,” Kennedy said.

Jack Evans, the former Ward 2 councilmember who resigned from his seat amid an ethics scandal, trails behind Kennedy with 9 percent of the vote and Jordan Grossman, a former staffer in President Barack Obama’s administration, is polling at 8 percent.

Five other candidates poll at 6 percent or less, and 44 percent of pollsters reported they were undecided, the survey results show.

Evans’ January resignation prompted a special election to determine who would fill his seat for the remainder of his term, which ends next year. He entered to run for his seat again in both the special election and the Democratic primary but pulled out of the special election last week.